I have an extensive background in editing a wide variety of subjects, disciplines, and styles, including graduate and undergraduate STEM and humanities textbooks, fiction for children (picture books/middle grade/YA) and adults, and professional medical copy for industry leaders such as Gilead, Neurocrine, and DaVita. My skills in fiction editing are geared toward contemporary realistic, "literary," or paranormal work rather than sci-fi, fantasy, or historical work. I am familiar with the AP, APA, Chicago, and MLA style guides, and have also worked with house style guides and conventions when appropriate.
- Review your writing for spelling, grammar errors, and inconsistencies.**
- You will receive your work with corrections throughout, made in track changes.
- $30/hr at approx. 5-10 pp/hr, depending on level of editing required.
- **This service does not include indexing or fact-checking.
- Edit your writing for clarity, spelling, grammar, and consistency in both style and text (e.g., your protagonist's Aunt Mary is invited to dinner on page 5, but when she arrives on page 30, she is referred to as "Aunt Elizabeth").
- You will receive (a) your work with comments and corrections throughout, made in track changes, and (b) a style sheet outlining capitalization, italicization, hyphenation, spelling, and other formatting standards unique to your work.
- $35/hr at approx. 5-10 pp/hr, depending on level of editing required.
- Edit your resume and/or cover letter for spelling, grammar, and punctuation, as well as clarity and consistency.
- Condense or elaborate on work experience as appropriate (with your input regarding skills/tasks/responsibilities) and make sure your language is as strong, active, and vibrant as possible.
- If you'd like, you can also submit a job listing and I will do my best to tailor your experience to the skills or responsibilities the position requires.
- 24-hour turnaround unless otherwise noted.
- $10 flat rate for resumes, $15 for cover letters, or $20 for both at once!
- Read for representation of asexuality, demiromanticism, panromanticism, questioning sexuality, and ADHD.
- You will receive a reader’s report of pros and cons in the manuscript, as well as in-text edits/suggestions via track changes.
- $40/hr up to 80,000 words. If your manuscript is 80,000+ words, please contact me to negotiate a price.
content & information organization services
Do you have a bunch of information that you need organized or distilled into a single concise, doesn't-break-your-brain-to-look-at-it document? Not sure how to create an effective spreadsheet in Excel, but know that your life would be so much easier if you could? I'm your gal! I believe that having all your information tidily packaged in the cleanest, most efficient, most accessible format possible is half the battle of getting anything done, and my first step to any kind of intensive engagement with a lot of information — be it plotting books, tracking freelance invoices, or making a list of agents to query — is to create a document or spreadsheet that's intuitive, easy to read, and stress-free to look at. This skill has impressed internship supervisors, managers, and department vice presidents alike with how much easier it makes consuming information, and I would love to use it to make your life a little easier, too.
Examples of my work include:
Examples of my work include:
- As an editorial assistant for Management and Organizational Behavior titles in Pearson Education's Business Publishing department, I researched grammar and writing support tools like Grammarly, Hemingway, and Ginger and assembled a comprehensive writeup detailing and comparing each tool's overall features, pros and cons, price points, and business packages, complete with links to each tool for easy access.
- As GrubStreet's Young Adult Writers Program (YAWP) intern, I analyzed demographic information from our teen programs to identify communities we weren't currently serving, then researched avenues — school systems, public libraries, Boys & Girls Clubs, Girl and Boy Scout troops, YMCAs — we could use to reach those communities. I then synthesized this research, including links to each organization and contact information for potential liaisons, into a report for my internship supervisor, who utilized it to publicize our forthcoming youth programming.
- As a freelancer for the Fall River Public Schools' occupational therapy team, I compiled entrance and exit criteria for occupational therapy services in school systems into one succint, easy-to-read document. The team gave me 300 print pages of OT district guidelines, special ed curricula, and state-mandated eligibility information, looking to revise their own entrance and exit criteria based on that of districts of similar size and income level. I distilled these 300 pages into 17, linked each school system's entry with the digital copy of its guidelines, and included links to isolated PDFs of eligibilty flowcharts for easy viewing.
- $30/hr to organize existing information, as with the Fall River Public Schools example above.
- $40/hr to research information (i.e. "I want to compare my mechanic services and rates to other mechanics in the greater Boston area") and synthesize findings into a comprehensive writeup, as with the Pearson Education example above.
- Expect turnaround in two weeks or less, unless I note otherwise upon evaluating your project (i.e., if you'd like me to read six romance novels and note the page numbers where each story beat occurs, that will take significantly longer than compiling a spreadsheet of agents you'd like to query).